H.B. Stuart purchased the land in 1876 and constructed a building shortly thereafter. Stuart died in 1890 and his widow sold the place to C.C. Henderson in 1892. A later owner, Claude Phillips, added the prominent two story columns and renovated the structure. His daughter, Eloise Phillips Stone, was the last owner/resident. This 30-room Victorian mansion, now owned by Henderson State University, contains what is reputedly the best collection of interior wooden fretwork in the state and houses the HSU museum.